Quiet Friday: Woven Radiance

The first of my Christmas promise gifts is now complete. This large throw in vivid colors fills the request from my daughter-in-law Marie. How fitting for a mother of three exuberant little boys to wrap up on the couch in her own fabric hug of exuberant color! This colorful cotton double weave throw is Woven Radiance.

Radiance. Large cotton doubleweave throw. Karen Isenhower

Radiance. Large cotton throw with radiant blocks of color. The warp for the next Christmas promise gift is wound and waiting on the warp beam.

Double weave, with eight shafts and eight treadles, and 2,064 ends, is a challenge. But results like this make all the effort worthwhile. My heart sings as I see these brilliant threads intersect to make sensational cloth! I am filled with amazement and gratitude that I’ve been given the opportunity to play with colorful threads on a weaving loom.

I hope you enjoy the process photos in this little slideshow video I created for you.

Happy Weaving,

• Beth Mullins says:

It’s just beautiful, Karen! What an heirloom.

Good morning Beth, Hmm, I wonder if you’ve just stumbled onto the meaning of the word “heir”-“loom”?

Thanks so much!

• Judy says:

Lovely. What cottons were used in the warp and weft?

• Barbara says:

I like the name you chose. It will bring a radiant smile to everyone who sees it.

• Barbara Evans says:

Just stunning, Karen. I love your posts.
    P

• Leigh Teichman says:

This is beautiful. What a lovely gift.

• Cynthia S Bills says:

Wowza! What a beautiful throw!!!

This is just lovely! And will be a hug from you each time it is used.

• ellen santana says:

what is it about a warped loom that elicits such joy? i just walk past it and it makes me happier. you are a genius. i probably won’t live long enough to weave as you do but i keep trying. es

Hi Ellen, I agree, there is something about a warped loom that elicits joy. We weavers just can’t help but be happy next to a loom.

• Liberty says:

Wow!!! Gorgeous!!!! Wish I was on your Christmas list, lol!!!!

Hi Liberty, You made me smmile. I’ll be doing good if I finish these three gifts in a year. I better not take on one more. 🙂

Thanks so much!

• Cindie says:

What a special gift – it’s incredible

• Sheryl Beckman says:

This is just amazing! As a new weaver, this is so inspiring and makes me feel so enthusiastic about weaving. My goal is to make blankets for each of my family members. A few years ago I gave each of my grandchildren soft blankets (NOT hand-woven) for Christmas and they literally call them ‘grammy hugs’, as in, ‘where’s my grammy hug’. It would be so much better if they were handmade! The video was fun to watch-no cello music?

Hi Sheryl, I am so happy you feel enthusiastic about weaving! There is so much to enjoy in this field. What a wonderful goal – to make blankets for your loved ones! You can do it!!!

I think I detect an Instagram follower. Ah yes, I found you on IG… One of my goals is to write all my own background music for my videos…with cello! And then I won’t have to use the canned music. (I did write the music for one of my videos. So that’s a start, but no cello in it…yet.)

I so appreciate your kind thoughts!

• Wonderful Karen..

The entire package of textile artist, craftsman and teacher — fluent in electronic communication.

It was nice to see your interns working on the blanket. Yet, where they wove and you wove were indistinguishable. They learned well.

Please keep sharing.

Nannette

Hi Nannette, It’s thrilling for me to see my young interns weave on the “real thing.” They enjoyed it, too.

Your words of encouragement mean so much to me!

• D’Anne says:

It’s beautiful, Karen! You do such exquisite work! Looking forward to seeing and touching it.