Quiet Friday: Linen Chair Seats

This week I crossed something off my Weaving Bucket List: Use handwoven fabric to upholster chairs. Remember the color-and-weave linen fabric? It’s part of my collection of fabrics designed specifically for our Texas hill country home. I covered four barstool seats with this linen upholstery fabric!

Handwoven linen upholstery fabric.

Weaving the fabric is the easy part. But I’m a newbie at upholstering. As such, using my “precious” handwoven cloth is unnerving. But I was fortunate enough to receive terrific advice and encouragement from friends, including one who conferred on my behalf with professional upholsterers she knows. And another friend generously loaned her power staple gun to me. I also referred to a book (Matthew Haly’s Book of Upholstery, by Matthew Haly) that I picked up a few years ago in hopes that I might someday reach this item on my bucket list.

Testing handwoven fabric for chair seats.

Trying out handwoven fabric for chair seats.

Removing staples, to re-cover the seat.

Covering seats with batting and muslin.

Reupholstering chair seats. Muslin first.

Handwoven linen upholstery fabric. Covering chair seats.

Handwoven linen upholstery for chair seats.

Backing the upholstered chair seats. Handwoven upholstery.

Upholstery backing in place. Handwoven upholstery project.

Finished handwoven linen chair seat! Ta da!

Underside of re-covered chair seats.

Four newly upholstered chair seats. Handwoven Upholstery.

Handwoven linen upholstery. Newly covered chair seats.

Newly covered chair seats. Handwoven Linen!

I count this as practice and a first step of experience. Eventually, I may work up the courage to reupholster our eight dining room chairs. Hmm… the thought of getting to design the fabric makes that challenge rather appealing.

May you cross something off your bucket list.

Your amateur upholsterer,

• Beth Mullins says:

They look fantastic, Karen!

• Shirley Haeny says:

You did a great job. I`m sure your dining room chairs will turn out just as good.

Good morning, Shirley, I appreciate the encouragement! The dining room chairs will have to get in line. I have a few other projects in mind before I tackle more chairs.

Thanks!

• Betsy says:

Awesome! Have you put a Scotch Guard on the fabric. I would be afraid to use the chairs. lol

Hi Betsy, I hear you! As a matter of fact, we have Scotchguard on our list for errands this morning, to treat the seats before we install them on the chairs.

And little children will sit on a towel until I get some child covers made for the seats.

And when the chairs become too stained and worn, I’ll make some more fabric and recover the seats. 🙂

• From your photos, it looks like you were given good advice. It is nice that you had flat seat bottoms to work with first. If you ever work with curved bottoms, make sure you staple the front and back in the middle first and then work out toward the sides. Sides are next from the center towards the corners. Corners are last, just as you did with your seats.

For a first timer, they turned out beautifully. Start planning fabric for those dining room chairs!

Hi Jenny, Sounds like you are another person I can come to for advice! Thanks for the tip; that makes a lot of sense. I need all the help I can get.

I’m going to start collecting fabric ideas for the dining room chairs. I already know the main colors I want to include.

Thanks!

• Sandy says:

Beautifully done, Karen! Congratulations on your “new” stools!

• Rachel says:

You inspire me – thank you. I have upholstered chairs but planning fabric for a stool my husband stained for me years ago – I can do this through your inspiring blog. God bless your fingers and mind as you share your talent.

Hi Rachel, What a worthy project you have in mind! That will make your stool all that much more special.

Blessings to you,

• Nannette says:

One bite of elephant, and before you know it…. The project is complete. Great job.

Very “clean” and elegant. That fabric would fit with classic to contemporary style. They look lovely!

Hi Karen, We’re trying to develop a hint of Arts and Crafts style in this home, with a contemporary touch. Hopefully, this works with that! I like hearing how you see it.

Thanks!

• Michele says:

Whoa, that’s a lot of work. You did a fabulous job. They look perfect. Congratulations.

• Joanna says:

Oh wow! Perfect!

• Liberty Stickney says:

They look wonderful. I just love them. I’m so proud of you!
    Liberty

• D’Anne says:

Wonderful job, Karen! You’re braver than I am. I wove the fabric and had the chairs covered professionally.

Hi D’Anne, That was a wise move to have your chairs covered professionally. This seemed like a “safe” project to see if I could do it myself. I’m sure your chairs are beautiful!

• Cindie says:

Those turned out incredible. I’m going to need new seat cushions, just the kind you tie on, I might have to give thought to weaving the fabric for those.

Hi Cindie, I hope you do weave your fabric for new seat cushions. That’s one of the perks of being a handweaver. We can make our own fabric! 🙂

• Mary says:

What fun! The chairs look great! I encourage you to continue to create cloth for upholstery! Yay!

Hi Mary, Thanks for the prompting. It makes a lot of sense to weave cloth for upholstery. I think I will do more of it!

All the best,

• Kay Larson says:

They look Fantastic! Maybe one day I will have the courage to weave the fabric and then redo our barstools and dining chairs.

• Ruth says:

Nothing amature about this project! You are a professional and so talented. Lovely, lovely work. Blessings

Hi Ruth, You’re so sweet! I’m honored that you think so highly of my work. As the maker, I see loads of room for improvement, but I’ll take your kind compliment.

I am blessed, indeed, to get to weave and to grow in these endeavors.